You Are 78% Evil
You are very evil. And you're too evil to care. Those who love you probably also fear you. A lot.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Co-Worker

Well, last night I was finally, for the first time, I was alone for dinner and/or without nurishment for an evening. So, I still have not tried the tap water yet. If you're here you notice a large amount of water coolers and purifiers everywhere. Even the driking fountains in the school are water coolers with a bunch of metal cups near it. Now this can mean three things. One: the tap water is bad, Two: nothing wrong with the tap water but Koreans still drink out of coolers and purifiers cause they like new tech (which is really true, Koreans love anything flashy and new tech), or Three: the water is bad for drinking but okay for everything else i.e. cooking and washing. I didn't know and I am saving money so I boiled my water at home and (using the left over drink containers I have cause I can figure out the trash system yet...yes there is a trash system) filled every container with cooled down, boiled water....and read til bed.

Oh, and hot water showers litertary last like 3mins. It took some experimenting to do but I figured it out that it is about 3mins. But, if you turn it off and turn it back on, you have another 3mins. Odd, so now I take showers in 3mins. Hehe, I spend more time brushing my teeth than I do showering now.

Also, today, after lunch, my Co-worker, (English Teacher, who teaches in the room next to mine) also called my partner, sat me down and talked about things. How I like the school and such, my apartment and what I need to be happy there; she tells me that she is going to teach me Korean and I am going to help her English, we spent a lot of time doing that; she was surprized as to how much I already know cause I'm not using it, I told her it was because people want me to speak English so that they how I say things....and because most Koreans speak really fast and my brain can't keep up and translate my words fast enough. She was also surprized as how much of the Korean alphabet I know (of which I started learning about 15mins before lunch). We told a few jokes and she wanted to know if there were a other hand gestures that American use in 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' I told not offically, but some frinds of mine made up a few like dynamite, the hand of God, atheist, sub-orbital meteor. I didn't tell her the last one....she wouldn't have got it. But then we realized it was like 3pm and we had work to do so we went over our lesson plans and I finally know how this teaching job is going to work. We each have five classes of increasing learning levels. I teach conversation, she teaches phonics. It confused me cause no one told me we were switching classes everyday. Also, we won't have our textbooks by the time class starts so we have to improvise til then. Well I enlisted the help of a former language teacher of mine and things are uber cool on my side in that department. And yes, I gave her the data to so she wouldn't be left hanging. And I was going to get supplies to decorate my room but she gave me a neat idea, let the kids do it. And why not I say...but I still need scotch tape and a black marker (my partner gave lots of left over paper, but iterated that this is just one time and I'll have to get my own from now on).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's about time that you end this fast thing before you end up just T or J. ;-0

If you need supplies for the kiddies, can we send them to the school for you? I have a bunch of books and stuff I would be willing to donate. Or flash cards even.

And I'm really impressed that you now have a "partner" we were betting it would take you much longer to find one! HA HA
kisses-k

david golbitz said...

Sounds like things are progressing nicely. I think I've taken a 3-minute shower once in my entire life. Good luck with that.

And you should get the kids to decorate the room with, like, superheroes and anime characters. Cause that'd be colorful and pretty.

AliKat said...

Your co-worker sounds like a nice a person. Someone you can talk to at least. Sounds like you are picking up Korean pretty well too. I'm glad things are going so well. The little details will all get worked out in time.

Bourgeois Dave said...

magistra to the rescue!

Angelkris said...

I've never had to experience the joy of boiling water for drinking purposes. How is it? Does it affect the taste at all?

Anonymous said...

letting the kids decorate is an excellent idea. and dude, when did you learn any korean? that's too cool.
tee hee--my verification word was undee :)