You Are 78% Evil
You are very evil. And you're too evil to care. Those who love you probably also fear you. A lot.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th for You

Almost 2 weeks here in Korea and I already miss everyone, hell I missed everyone on the plane. Life here is adjusting slowly and teaching is pretty easy. Most of the kids are pretty smart. Right now the company that sponsors this teaching program is falling behind. We have no text books for the kids, or us for that matter. So everything I am teaching is kinda rubbish. I'm honestly still testing the waters of their language barriers, and more than once the kids have asked me to speak in Korean so they can understand. Pretty much the only word I have for them is "Chogum" which means little bit. So a lot of my teaching envolves hand signals and body language. Uh, but first grade, oh my god, yell and hit each other and won't sit half the time. At least they are first class and the behavior, as well as the understanding, gets better as my day progresses. We are suppose to have books by this week or latest by Tuesday next week. If not.....I don't know. Anyway, the kids are mostly nice and I already have a few teachers pets. Basically the are the smart ones of the class and help tell all the students what I mean to say to them.

Anyway, enough about school. Here is one thing to throw anybody with a bit of asian school girl fetish. In Korean culture once you are born you are 1 year old, for example A kid conceived in Janurary is born in September is now one year old. When Janurary 1st comes by for the first time in there lives they are now 2 years old. Thats right, even if they have only been a being on this planet for a fews even they are now considered 2 years old. Then the process goes to normal and every year on the date of there birth they get a year older. Why is it this way, who knows. But that means that when people fanatize about some 16yr old asian school girl they are really 14yr old by U.S. standards. Which also means that when you encounter a Asian kid on college campus they are younger and still smarter than you and at college. But it also lowers the persumed range of Asian life expectany by 2 yrs also. So they don't live that much longer than us anymore.

Just thought I'd let the world know. Which means by Korean standards I will be 29 in August. Which isn't that bad but in Korea, being 29 and without a girlfriend is not a good thing since they rate succuss by home stability and healthy kids. But then again, I get away with a lot here, culturewise, cause I'm a foreigner. I just hope they don't start setting me up on dates. Oh, and since I come from a nowhere town according to world popularity I had to describe where I am from and it led to telling them the closest popular town near my home, which is Chicago. So, no matter what I try to tell them, they think I am from Chicago. But one cool thing, while in Seoul I was walking through there mall and came upon UNO, a Chicago pizza place, not the best Chicago has to offer in my opinion but it is something, btw this was the pizza resturant at the airport that I couldn't remember. Well, five classes today and the little brats after today 2 more days to weekend and then I'll go see Pirates in Seoul and probably eat at that pizza restuarant to see how it compares since BK and McD's tasted a little different also. Basically, they are using the name and only assume to know what the food tastes like, their not right on.

7 comments:

AliKat said...

I say not the best Chicago style pizza in the world is still way better than a regular pizza anyday. I did spoil you by taking you to the best pizza place in Chicago. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey pizza is pizza. There is good and not so good, but it's usually better than anything else.

Well it sounds like you are finding your way around. I still get lost in Omaha so props to you.

Chuck's says "Hey" and the boys too.
kat

david golbitz said...

Look! Alissa and Kat co-existing in the same place! And the world didn't end or anything!

(TJ, you don't actually have to post this comment, it's okay. Good for a laugh, though.)

Angelkris said...

Yeah! Soounds like things are good. I love the little stories you have to tell- like them thinking you are from Chicago and such. Love 'em- keep 'em coming!

rainbowponi said...

hey, i dont think it is so much them assuming they know what the food tastes like as that people all around the world have different tastes so mcd's has to cater to those people so they will like their food. i rememeber eating at a mcd's in austria and burgers were served on hard kaiser rolls instead of buns, go fig.

Anonymous said...

Weird, In Japan, the McDonald's tasted EXACTLY the same. Subway as well, except the veggies seemed tiny. KFC was different, though. No original or crispy, just something in between.

ben

Anonymous said...

hey its joe please email me